Wednesday, December 3, 2008

turkey day is gone so should the leftovers...

This is from the FlyLady emails...it made me laugh...
MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!!

Today is Tuesday, December 2 and your Thanksgiving leftovers are
officially six (6) days old. According to the USDA, turkey leftovers
are good for four (4) days. It's time for them to go. Gravy should
have been tossed after 2 days; stuffing has to go too…its time is up
after 4 days.

Do not attempt to stretch the time on this; they are officially too
old to be good for anything except the trash, you don't want to be
sick. Do not attempt soup with that carcass. Do not feed your dog or
cat any leftover meat. Simply toss it, all of it, including side
dishes and cranberries. Just because there is no mold and it still
smells good, doesn't mean it is safe to consume

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need my husband to read this! I am so paranoid about food poisoning that I don't eat ANYTHING past expiration dates! He, on the other hand, doesn't want anything to go to waste.

Trisha said...

Too funny that is exactly how Darren is too!!!

Tracy Jean said...

Leftovers don't exist in the Tucher house. I can barely get them to eat what I make. When I ask what they want for dinner the answer is always the same "MCDONALDS". They are spoiled! We actually went all week without any fast food that is a great accomplishment.

Anonymous said...

According to the USDA, who we all know are real experts when it comes to food safety. After an outbreak of food posing that is.

Cooked turkey dishes can be stored 3 to 4 days in the fridge and 4 to 6 months in the freezer.

Check this link for more info:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Turkey_from_Farm_to_Table/index.asp